Monday Muse ~ Joni Mitchell

By Lucy Harbron - 20:30


"She's so busy being free..."

Joni Mitchell is possibly my favourite singer, she's an artist I never tire of and never skip. I talked a little bit about why I love her music so much HERE but in short, I love Joni's honesty in her lyrics. Her songs are so personal that it makes them simultaneously vulnerable and powerful, and I love that. She's a women that truly inspires me and I love love love her.

Joni's discography contains so many classic folk songs such as 'Case Of You', Woodstock' and 'The Circle Game' making her totally worthy of the tile of one of the greatest songwriters of all time. She's spanned decades and crossed genres but her music remains loved and powerful with her album Blue (my personal fave) being labelled as one of the top 30 albums ever made by Rolling Stone. But as well as being a folk music queen, she's also a total 70s babe, encapsulating the ultimate laid-back 70s vibe.

Joni is one of my ultimate fashion icons and someone I always have in mind when shopping. Her look is so effortless in that true 70s hippie style. Think floaty smock tops, A-line dresses, maxi dresses and vintage t-shirts. I love that photo of Joni playing guitar in just a t-shirt and flared jeans, it's so natural but also what a look. I'm so tempted to get myself some flares...

I think really the key to her look is comfort, her outfits were never extravagant like other 70s stars. Her pieces are simple and her looks never over-done so less is more. Get in the 70s hippie mind frame and you're half way there. Alternatively, put on Joni's song 'Chelsea Morning' when you're getting dressed and you'll naturally want to put on a maxi dress and skip around.It's all about the mind set!

If you've never listened to Joni Michell honestly what are you doing. I can't recommend her enough, what a beautiful spirit. She continues to leave such a huge mark on both music and fashion even now in her old age, she's a true artist and I couldn't love her more.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Talk to me...