4 Lessons I Learnt During My 1st Year of College/Sixth Form...

By Lucy Harbron - 20:00


1) You will start and end the year in very different places

When I think back to this time last year I realise how much I've changed during my first year of college. I feel like I've become much more realistic and mature, but also stronger in myself. Within a year things change a lot- friendship groups, relationship statuses, future plans etc will often be totally different by the end of the year but I think that's good as it forces you to grow up really.

2) You gotta work!

I think before entering college a lot of people have a sort of romanticised view of it, expecting sixth form to be like skins; all parties and messing about but still managing to pass exams. NOPE it doesn't work like that! I quickly realised that it can be so hard to stay on top of the work load. I expected it to be easier as you're only doing 3/4 subjects rather than like 7, but there a lot of work for every subject (there are no easy a-levels, trust me) At the start of the year all teachers say "you need to revise your work while you do it, don't just leave it until the end" and we all rolled our eyes and ignored them, but actually it's really important to make sure you understand everything or revision is a total nightmare (oh god I sound like a teacher!)

3) Talking to new people might be the best thing ever

If you're going into the same college as all your friends it can be easy to feel like you don't need to talk to anyone new. But the people I've met this year have become some of my best friends! As I said before, your friendship group might totally change so talking to new people might be the best thing you've ever done and you might meet your new ultimate bestie. (obviously you might meet some reaaaaaaally horrible people, but it's the good ones that count!)

4) At the end of the day it's the next step

At one point in the year I was feeling super down about college and friends blah blah and my mum just kept reminding me "its the next step" and she was right. Once I started looking at universities and thinking more about careers and stuff I felt so much more determined and motivated to just get through the year and get the best grades I could. Really you're there to learn so focusing on that helped me get through other stuff and (fingers crossed) helped me get good grades.

What did you learn this year?

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Talk to me...